I get so emotional!

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Maybe the old songs....

Its late on a Saturday night and I'm home reminiscing about so many things that keep going through my mind. For some reason, the last 2 weeks have seen me thinking about old times, missing the old times and wishing I could be back there. I'm happy as happy can be now but I do miss so many things from my past. If only I could snap my fingers and be transported back when:
  1. I was 19 - 24. I really loved that period of my life (university, going out with friends) and I ache for those times.
  2. We would meet at Orchard MRT station every Wed night, take the bus (yes the bus) (no 16) to Zouk at 6pm so we could queue ealy, get stamped, have dinner and go back in for Mambo.
  3. we used to dance all night at the main dance floor of Zouk (the stairs no less), only to leave either to go to the ladies or to get a drink during midnight madness (read - one for one - an essential for those with no jobs).
  4. I could remember the sequence of the songs that were played at Mambo (in fact I can still remember!)
  5. we used to club at Barracuda, Rootz, Kilimajaro and I forget the club at Boat Quay. The antics that we pulled and the amount of alcohol that we drank!
  6. we used to hang out at MTV bar before going down to the main dance floor.
  7. we used to drink our parents alcohol at home because we couldn't afford the drinks outside. Barry and I loading up on mountain dew and bourbon at 4pm will forever be etched in my mind as well as when we used to fill drinks into a soft drink bottle and drink while queing.
  8. I could fit in Urban and Co outfits (XS no less), when I could expose my flat stomach and wear low cut jeans, low cut tops, backless tops - you name it, I had it.
  9. I could still function after 3am, have a Zouk hot dog and Orange juice, then head for supper, sleep for awhile, go to church, have breakfast and then lunch with the same people I went out with the night before (Deb, Ryan and Tuff)
  10. Pile into Sharon's car with the fluffy white furry car seat covers which she proudly bought from Australia and drive around picking people up so that they could skip class and hang out.
  11. I worked at Civil Service Club (the soup and hot bread every morning, the George Michael Listen without Prejudice CD that we played everyday and going out after work)
  12. I could drink 10 tequila shots in a row and it did not even make a dent in my system!
  13. I could go home and see my mum and dad every morning - chatting over breakfast and newspapers, lying on their bed and talking about everything.
  14. My sister was right next door to me.

I feel all grown up now - a mother, a teacher, a wife - as if everything has its place and that's how its going to be for the long run. I have everything that I want and need and I am satisfied with my life. But I do crave for those days when I had no responsibility, when my only worry was what to wear on Wed and Sat nights, when I spent so much time with people who have always known me inside out and genuinely had a good time with, when I never ever worried about money, when all I did was study and go for lectures, come home and relax. I miss the carefree, devil may care take on life that we all had and I miss how we all were at that time. We have changed so much since then.

I guess I just have to close my eyes and all these memories come flooding back to me. But they are what they are - memories - and while I will always hold them dear to me and bring them up once in awile, I will leave them where they are and start making new memories for the next decade of my life.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, for days gone by.

    I think those days only look simple in retrospect. In the moment, everything feels difficult and complicated.

    I am sure when Caitlin becomes a teenager, you will long for the days she used to run around only in panties and you were one of her favourite people.

    From your post, I remember Sharon's fluffy car seats left fluff on my black dress for Zouk.
    I still don't know how our parents or the bouncers at Zouk let me in there at 15.
    I remember the nasi lemak and macaroni soup from church.
    I remember the knocking on the wall and then we'd pick up the phone to talk.

    I am so happy how close we have always been as sisters and that I am able to extends this love to Caitlin, and that she actually likes me (no kids like me).

    Time may pass us by but it is the anchors, the people in your life - that will always keep you grounded.

    See... now, you made me reminiscent too.

     
  • At 4:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mish said

    Ya.. the knocking on the door! I miss that too!

    And I'm already watching Caitlin grow up day by day and trying desperately to hold on to every memory. She can't remember so much of what I used to say or sing to her a year ago already.

     
  • At 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    urban & co? you've forgotten the ultimate! future state! i had to give all those teeny tops to my cousins when i finished uni...

    bizarre love triangle played in an ice cream shop in brunswick street the other night. i always do a mental turnaround 'looking' for my friends when i hear those songs.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home