I get so emotional!

Monday, March 27, 2006

A walk down memory lane










Two weeks ago, Edward and I decided to go for a drive around the Opera Estate area. He wanted to show me his old house and I wanted to see what my primary school looked like now. Driving up that hill toward the school brought back so many memories and standing in front of it, I realise now just how small we were and how big we taught it was. All in all, it took us about 10 steps to walk down the corridor and back. All I know was that it was as if someone had taken me, made me 7 years old again and put me back there. Nothing has changed and for those who were to CHIJ Opera Estate I hope this brings back countless memories.

Do you remember:
1. The coloured stones outside the office that we used to play while we waited for our bus? Big yellow, small green...

2. Do you remember our assembly ground that could fit a whole session?
3. Do you remember the steps leading to the field that we used to play "the alphabet game" on and jump to the alphabet announced?
4. the mother hen and chicks game we used to play - making nests out of the grass that had been mowed.
5. The toilets at the end of the corridor and the little library outside each class?
6. The canteen - Auntie Mary, Ethel, fish cake soup and the drinks that were always full of bees?
7. The steps leading to the assembly ground where we took our class photo?
8. The rabbit cage on the field?
9. The drain by the assembly ground where we had to brush our teeth?
10. The packet milk that we had to drink everyday?
11. Bus no 20 white and 20 green that took us to Bedok Interchange?
12. The music room on the 3rd floor that everyone said was haunted?

I still can't believe that I can remember all this. It only means that those were damn good days!


17 Comments:

  • At 5:32 PM, Blogger deb said…

    Oh my god! I rememember every single one of those you mentioned.

    That assembly ground was also the placed where we played badminton and "yay yay"!

    Can you imagine sitting and having picnics on the wet grass now after building our "homes".

     
  • At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    em said.......
    the school looks the same.
    the best thing for me at that
    time was sliding down the slope after school because "going home time" already.
    God, there was ages ago, man.

     
  • At 12:29 AM, Blogger Tempest23 said…

    I remember your bus driver deb! yours was the big bus while tuff and I had "acek" one uncle with a dirty grey bus.
    Em, thought you were in Katong Convent?

     
  • At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I told Jamie about how we used to play in the hay and he said, "you used to play on the grass?!!"

    Hahahha... I remember the rabbit cage.

     
  • At 7:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh my gosh!!! looks like we all played the same 'ol things! Green spot (not the drink) was what we played on those round tiles, sliding down the slope next to the staircases (both front & back), playing ABC step on the staircase where the flagposts were, buying Peter's super sweet orange drink surrounded with bees!! Now that was indeed a great place to attend primary school and my favourite cikgu Sharifah....

     
  • At 7:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    one more thing.... brushing our teeth by the drain, I had the red cup!

     
  • At 4:20 PM, Blogger Tempest23 said…

    That bloody cikgu rose was my most hated teacher. She threw a duster at my head!

    remember the dental van outside the school and we used to love to get the red tablet to chew and make our teeth red!

     
  • At 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Let's all go back for a re-visit! Before they bring it down.
    Our 199 home has now been demolished and I wish I had gone back.

     
  • At 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    And the bathroom was where I left a bit of my little finger! Yikes.

     
  • At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    em said....

    i was there from Primary 1-5.
    then primary 6 to KC.
    very fond memories.

     
  • At 9:04 PM, Blogger doomed_troll said…

    my mother used to drag me up the hill when i was young to pick alison, and i remeber spending a couple of saturdays attendign class with her....

     
  • At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    what class?? music on saturday is it? i was in the onsom you know, played the angklong & recorder.

     
  • At 3:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hahahha... "onsom"!

    I remember the haunted music room, where my friends and I left a note under the Ballerina painting so that the spirit replied. We even left a pencil for it. Monkeys.

    I remember the monkey bars, where one my classmates fell and her arm broke. The rabbit cage was where I hit my forehead and Mummy had to come get me to take me to the doctor. The bookstore where I stole a pen from and got caught and Daddy had to talk to the principal.

    A lot of memories in that school - all the passionate playing, arguments and friendships that were formed. My friends and I choreographing dancesteps for Debbie Gibson's "Electric Youth" and exhanging facts of NKOTB.

    I remember going to Mrs Pestana's house to get the keys for the gate when Ah Chek brought us there too early.

    Ah... days gone by...

     
  • At 5:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's me again; about to leave the office. I remember very clearly our group of P6 students going around the school singing "Ringo for President". That was nice!

     
  • At 7:37 PM, Blogger Tempest23 said…

    For a minute I thought who the hell is ringo? Don't reveal your age mama!

     
  • At 12:30 PM, Blogger SHERWiN said…

    I remember the school cos my house was at the end of the field. The school was the play ground for the neighbourhood boys, me included. We used to have out meetings under the angsana tree at the base of the hill. coincidently, you too had your 'club' meetings there during your school hours.

     
  • At 12:45 AM, Blogger Laura said…

    Oh yes.... I remember there was a monkey bar to the left of the field. I can still picture myself playing yeh-yeh and one-leg catching at the assembly square! Those pics brought back so much memories!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home