I get so emotional!

Thursday, June 22, 2006

The Silence is Deafening



Its been 2 weeks since my dear nan passed away and the silence is deafening. The almost daily calls have stopped, her familiar strict tone asking me what I am having for dinner is no more, our once a week arguments over maids and her gargantuan knowledge of food and recipes is something that I will never hear again.

I have been on a great journey with the lady - she has lived with us, she helped to bring us up, she made our dog a smoker, she commented on everything but she was always generous about everything even to the point of keeping one piece of chocolate for me, tightly wrapped in reynolds wrap and a plastic bag.

I keep expecting her to call. I keep thinking that she is still at home trying to figure out the remote control, watching cooking shows on suria, copying everything down and locking them away. I keep thinking that my phone will ring and I will hear another complaint or another "What did you have for dinner." I keep thinking that the phone will ring with countless advice on how to take care of Caitlin whom she never met but I can safely say will always be watching over her.

I will miss my nan terribly. I will miss her christmas madness of achar, curry powder and her harrasing baca (her curry powder man). I will miss her food, her recipes, her ideas. Most of all I will miss the most distinctive part of her - her voice and her heart.

But despite feeling sad, I looked around my uncles and cousins and I realise that she will never be truly gone because we all have something of her. My mother and I put our hands on our chin when we are thinking just like her, roger and cliff are just as fussy as her, Kristen I think has the same strong character as her and we ALL know how to make her achar.

So this blog is for my dear nan - one helluva woman who lived a roller coaster ride of a life - which is just the way it should be.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:43 AM, Blogger nikki-rae said…

    well said mischa.. :)

     
  • At 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It sounds like your Nan lived a full life surrounded by love and most inportantly family.

     
  • At 7:37 PM, Blogger doomed_troll said…

    hit the nail on the head

     
  • At 11:04 AM, Blogger Denise Oliveiro said…

    It's wonderful how you remember a loved one in life and not death. There are many out there with no family to speak of in the way that you have in this post. In this alone, we're truly blessed. Congratulations on your little addition Caitlin.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home